South Banat District, as well as Bela Crkva and its environment, is one of the oldest settlements in Vojvodina, and has a long and varied historical past. Bela Crkva area and its surroundings were inhabited a few thousand years ago, as witnessed by the excavations of tools and weapons made of stone and iron. The Scythians, Celts, Thracians, Dacians used to stay or just pass here, and only at the end of the early Iron Age a new period of history had begun - the period of Roman conquests, which began at the end of I century BC and led to disintegration of prehistoric culture.
In the period of Roman conquests, South Banat was one of the centers of Roman civilization. However, in addition, South Banat remained exposed to new barbarian-conquering forces. After the Dacians and the Celts, the Sarmatians invaded this area and continued to dominate for the entire three centuries, followed by the Huns, Goths and others and finally by the Odoakars and Slavs who settled the area.
Large and crucial changes occurred upon the settlement of the Magyars in the ninth century. The Hungarians, helped by the Byzantine Empire, formed their own state which included the area of the South Banat.
After many wars and conquests of the southern parts of the Balkan peninsula, the Turkish army crossed the Danube and the Sava and in 1552 occupied the South Banat area. During the Turkish rule, the area was exposed to destruction, terror, displacement, wars which all had a marked impact on the slowdown of economic and cultural development. Turkish authorities remained until 1717 when the region belonged to the rule of Austria, which in the meantime annexed also the former Hungarian monarchy.
Today’s Bela Crkva, as cultural, economic and political center was created in 1717. It was founded by Count Merci, who organized mass colonization of Germans from the Frankish State, Swabia, and Hessian and Wirtenberg provinces on the Rhine. People in the city were engaged in almost all trades, commerce and especially grape growing and production of quality wines.
In 1742 Bela Crkva was inhabited by the Serbs, and later the Romanians, Jews, Gypsies, Hungarians, Czechs and other nationalities. However, until the Second World War the majority population was German.
For the protection from the Turkish Armi, Austria formed the Military frontier. For the duration of the Military frontier, Bela Crkva and surroundings were its part until its dissolution in 1872. The basic law for the Military frontier from 1807, improved the population living conditions in the Frontier. Due to successful economic development, since 1815 Bela Crkva was elevated to the rank of a city.
The area of Bela Crkva was under the rule of Austria-Hungary until the liberation in 1918 when it was annexed to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes.
During II World War, Bela Crkva was under German rule. After the liberation, all German natives left the city.